Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Top Five Games of All Time

Starting next Monday (ACST) I will be posting five consecutive entries over the week featuring my five most favourite games of all time. For each game I’m aiming to give around four hundred words containing a short review and what that game meant to me.

A bit of backstory:
I grew up as a Sega kid with my first console being the Sega Master System II (with in-built Alex Kidd: In Miracle World) in 1991. As such, I was very rarely able to play a Nintendo home console until April of 1997 when I received a Nintendo 64. Since then I’ve owned every major home console bar the original Playstation. As for handhelds, my collection started with the original GameBoy in Christmas of 1994 along with Metroid II: Return of Samus. Not very long after this I also had a Sega GameGear, however my time with it was short-lived since we sold it after around six months. Since the GameBoy Colour I’ve owned every major handheld gaming device.

Video games have been such a huge part of my life since the age of three. As a matter of fact, seeing my Dad come home with the Master System II is actually my second memory – the first being when I was standing in a pair of nappies at age two receiving a bottle of milk from my grandma. Most of my important childhood memories are associated with games in some way such as going over to friends’ houses to play all day, or having a whole bunch come to mine; playing my GameBoy while driving to visit family; watching the Super Mario Brothers Super Show or Captain N cartoons in the mornings before school; staying up late with my uncles (who were teenagers at the time) trying to beat various bosses; and of course trading/battling Pokémon with friends.

It gives me great pleasure to take all these games and work out which were the most important to me and had the biggest impact on my life. I hope you will enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment